7.06.2011

Recreationism

I’ve become something of a fool for these “stacked” daily blog posts, wherein I begin with Part 2: the wholesome-generally-anyway supplement to what doubtless a different (and, sometimes, baleful) Part 1. And, if I’m lucky enough to be struck with the notion, I’ll retitle the post . Like this post.

One of the many subjects that I’ve not yet broached in this ostensibly hallowed forum is BIODIVERSITY. We live in world of ever-greater and always-lesser plenty. I’m taking a wildly underlearned/overeducated guess, but I know that there exist on this planet AT LEAST 2 million distinct named/described species. How did that happen? Well, I thought of what was happening in terms of the sheer plenitude that is here for us humans to comprehend.

You (i.e., I) have to wonder how this could happen in the theoretical Creationist totality of 6,000 years; indeed, to fit such proliferation into that relatively microscopic epoch seems unnatural, given the lifespans and rates of evolution among and between living creatures.

Soon, however, a viable theory emerged, defiant AND triumphant, from the porridge/pudding resident in my head. It is brief in exposition, but its impact is incalculable:

Think about Noah. Think about the whole ark adventure that happened because divine force wanted to see if people drowned and boats floated—and, furthermore, whether either of those things were at all related to whatever slummy, vengeful kind of piety served as justification.

It’s reported pretty widely that Noah brought copies of every species in couple form on this nautical excursion. That’s all well and good, but the animals had to stay below deck. Thing is, it’s dark down there, so they didn’t know (or necessarily care) about whether they were keeping their “grown-up” adventures under wraps. I mean, they were, by definition, “below board.”

But—and this is where it gets amusingly interesting—the area stank like anything. That’s all well and good, but the pervading stench was an equalizing and anonymizing force. Basically, the distinctions vaporized between what species were present.

You get the idea. New species abounded, with innumerable permutations of mammalia introduced to a world that nobody understands anyway.  
All in that little fetid vessel.

Old Post ("Is This or That So?")

Goodness gracious people persons

All day I spend indoors with wallpaper and it would be disingenuous to suggest that any part of me found it unpleasant. Something about the adventure of house&yard work generates in me a feeling like I'm in the Goonies.

So, last May, when I fell through the floor of our woodshed, I was sharply disappointed that it was a mere 2-foot drop to the ground; 
I'd hoped that I would find myself in some flume, utterly unwitting of some yet-to-be-revealed overarching sense that would be made within 
just a couple of hours, complete with room for allegorical backfires.

So, that's what I do in the summertime. dig huge rocks and errant bricks out of the ground, build walkways and terraces, tear down invasive tree things by hand, get gloriously befouled, and allow something to consume me that could be called "ambition" if it weren't so life-affirming.

I have to go and walk around outside because it's brilliantly beautiful out. Sorry for brevity.

1 comment:

  1. Okay. This is nuts.

    My job-search thing sent me my daily job alert/platitude today, which is not at all nuts.

    Its title?

    "Noah, Floods, Creative Destruction and Your Career"

    ReplyDelete